These little muffins are made of fluff and softness. They have a light lemony flavor and you can’t get enough of them. The recipe I used for these muffins was adapted from this Glazed lemon Bread recipe from Simply Recipes. I have made the Glazed Lemon Bread before and it was delicious every time, but I wanted to make muffins out it. I changed the original recipe a little bit because I wanted the muffins to be more light and airy than the bread. It was a success.
While preparing this batter, you will most likely have a taste of it before it fills the muffin tin. Then you will notice that it is the softest, fluffiest most delicate batter you have ever had the pleasure of coating your finger with. And then, when they are done baking, the Lemon Glaze will seep in and coat their delicate crumb, adding just a touch more sweet lemony goodness and pudding like texture to the tops. Go make them already.
- 4 tablespoons butter, soft
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (or 1 cup icing sugar)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon zest
- 1/2 cup whole milk (or 1/2 cup 1-2% + 2 teaspoons white vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
Bake at 300-350˚F for about 15 minutes
Makes 14-16 muffins*
- In a large bowl beat 4 tablespoons of butter until fluffy and light in color.
- Add in 3/4 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons of honey and beat again until smooth.
- Add the 2 eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add in 2 tablespoons of oil and beat until well incorporated.
- Slowly whisk in 1/2 cup milk until blended.
- Add in 2 tablespoons of lemon zest and 1/4 cup lemon juice. Whisk until everything is incorporated. (Your batter will look curdled at this point due to the honey.)
- In another smaller bowl, sift 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon baking soda and add 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Add flour mixture to wet mixture and beat until you have a smooth, light and fluffy batter.
- Scoop out even amounts of batter onto prepared cupcake tray.
- Bake at 300-350˚F for about 15 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
While the muffins are baking, prepare the Lemon Glaze
- In a small sauce pan/pot over medium heat, whisk together 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1/3 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon honey and 1 teaspoon lemon zest until the sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from heat.
- When muffins are done baking, use a wooden skewer, toothpick or fork to poke holes on the muffin tops.
- Pour the glaze over the muffins while they are still hot.
- Let the muffins cool for 5 minutes before eating.