A cozy, gooey meal. A favorite of creatures young and old. Macaroni & Cheese.
Here’s what you need:
- pasta, 3 cups dry
- butter, 4 tablespoons
- flour, 4 tablespoons
- milk, 3 cups
- cheddar cheese (or other), 1 cup or as much as you like!
- salt, 2 teaspoons
- paprika, 2 teaspoons
- cayenne pepper, a pinch
- black pepper, 1 tablespoon
Bake at 350˚F for 20-25 minutes.
- Set the pasta to boil until al dente, as it will continue to cook in the oven later. I like to use whole wheat elbow macaroni.
- Next, shred/chop your cheddar cheese so it’ll be ready for use later on.
- In a large saucepan, on medium heat, melt the butter. When the butter is melted add the flour and stir until well incorporated.
- Let it cook for a few minutes, making sure to keep stirring to prevent burning and sticking.
- Next, pour in the milk. For 3 cups of pasta, I usually put 3 cups (or more) of milk, because I like my mac and cheese really creamy. You can adjust the pasta to cream ratio as you like. Cook until mixture starts to thicken and reduce heat to low.
- (At this point, you can add about a half cup of shredded cheese (extra) to the sauce and stir until it’s fully melted. I don’t do this because I find that it doesn’t make much of a difference to taste of the sauce, so I just add the cheese at the very end, just before I bake the mac&cheese. This way you get all the cheesyness but save yourself a few calories.)
- Now add: salt, paprika, cayenne pepper and black pepper. I love paprika. I’m sure I end up putting way more than 2 teaspoons, but I don’t measure this part, I just throw it in. Also don’ t be shy with the black pepper, it goes incredibly well in this dish.
- Once you’ve added the spices, let the mixture cook for a few minutes until the flavors merry and you have a nice, thick, rich and creamy sauce.
- Next get a medium sized dish and pour in you pasta. Add the sauce and mix it all together, making sure all the pasta is covered in the creamy goodness.
- Spread it out nice and add as much shredded cheese(s) as you fancy on top. You can either leave it like this and bake or give it all a little mix so the cheese is somewhat incorporated into the pasta.
- Bake at 350˚F for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese bubbles and starts to slightly brown.