Ever since I made my own pizza at home one day, I realized what I had been missing out on. I was so glad at how much better it tasted, and how much healthier it was. Making your own pizza is fun and really easy once you find that one perfect pizza dough recipe. The recipe I’m using to make this pizza dough is from Taste for Adventure. Its the best dough I have made so far, and it’s completely whole wheat. It turned out perfectly crisp, tasty and contrary to belief, not hard and too chewy. I made two different kinds of pizzas with this crust, and I loved them both, until there was no pizza left. Click here if you want to get some topping ideas!
Now roll up your sleeves and get out the flour. Let’s make some pizza dough!
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
Let rise for 45 minutes to 1 hour
- In a small bowl, mix 2 1/4 teaspoons of yeast and 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- Microwave 1 cup of water. Make sure it’s warm nothot. About 30-45 seconds. Add the water to the yeast and sugar mixture. Give it a little stir and let it sit for 5 minutes until it becomes frothy.
- In a large bowl, mix 2 cups of the whole wheat flour, 1 teaspoon of sugar and 3/4 teaspoon salt.
- Make a little well in the center of the flour mixture and add in 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the yeast mixture.
- Mix from the center and out, incorporating a bit of the flour at a time into the well.
- Mix until the dough comes together. At this point, it will be rather sticky.
- Take the rest of the flour, and sprinkle in 1 tablespoon at a time onto the dough, while kneading it in. Keep adding flour until the dough is no longer sticky. Doing it this way ensures that you don’t get dry dough.
- Form the dough into a ball and let it sit in a floured or greased bowl. Cover it with greased plastic wrap.
- Let the dough sit in a warm place for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until it doubles in size.
And that’s it. The dough is ready to use!
Go on, roll it out, top it off, bake it, and eat it.